Know Your Rights
10 Facts You Should Know
County Contacts
Crisis Help
Driver Licenses
Get Involved!
Important Documents
Youth Crisis Lines

The Office of the Foster Care Ombudsman can help you with most issues, but if you need help right away when the toll-free phone line is not available, these 24 hour lines may help.

To report abuse or neglect of any child or youth, click on "Emergency Response Hotline" to find the county Child Protective Services (CPS) numbers.

California Youth Crisis Line (1-800-843-5200)

Provides 24-hour counseling service, information and referrals for all areas of California regarding medical services, shelters, crisis centers, AIDS testing, and transportation info.

NINELINE (1-800-999-9999)

Provides 24-hour information, referrals and assistance to any youth in crisis.

National Runaway Switchboard (1-800-RUNAWAY {786-2929})

Provides 24-hour assistance, information, and referrals to youth who have run away and for other youth in crisis.

Trevor Youth Suicide Helpline (1-866-4UTrevor{488-7386})

A national 24-hour suicide prevention helpline for gay and questioning youth.

Other Sources of Help

For help with legal and civil rights problems and information about gay and lesbian issues, contact the National Center for Lesbian Rights. You may also email them at info@nclrights.org or call at 1-800-528-6257.

For counseling on these issues, contact the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender (GLBT) National Hotline, a program of the GLBT National Help Center or call the toll-free hotline at 1-888-843-4564.

You may also participate in the Gay, Lesbian Bisexual and Transgender (GLBT) National Youth Talkline telephone and email counseling, a program of the GLBT National Help Center, go to Youth Talkline or call the toll-free hotline at 1-800-246-PRIDE (7743).

Click on Mental Health for information about some options for mental health services.

If you would like to find a caring adult to be a friend and a person to talk to, go to Mentors.

Go to Get Involved! to learn more about activities to make your voice heard and participate with other emancipated young adults.

To learn more about extracurricular, enrichment and social activities which foster children and youth are entitled to while in placement, go to this CCL Information Release dated October 13, 2005 and this All County Letter dated December 30, 2005.

To learn about information on programs that help create better life-long family connections for current and former foster youth, click on Permanency.

The National Center for Youth Law works to make things better for current and former foster youth.

For more assistance, call the
Office of the Foster Care Ombudsman
at 1-877-846-1602.