Know Your Rights
10 Facts You Should Know
County Contacts
Crisis Help
Driver Licenses
Get Involved!
Important Documents
Housing Assistance before you Emancipate

Transitional Housing Placement Program (THPP) for youth in placement

Live in your own apartment while in foster care...

In some counties, the Transitional Housing Placement Program (THPP) offers foster youth the opportunity to have an apartment while still in foster care. The Transitional Housing Placement Program (THPP) is a licensed placement opportunity for youth in foster care. The goal of THPP is to help participants emancipate successfully by providing a safe environment for youth to practice the skills learned in the Independent Living Program (ILP). Participants may live alone, with departmental approval, or with roommates in apartments and single family dwellings with regular support and supervision provided by THPP staff, county social workers, and ILP coordinators. Support services include regular visits to the participant’s residence, educational guidance, employment counseling, and assistance reaching emancipation goals outlined in the participant’s Transitional Independent Living Plan (TILP).

To apply you must be:
  • a foster youth, 17-19 years old, in an out-of-home placement;
  • under the supervision of a social worker or probation officer; and
  • actively participating in an ILP (Independent Living Program).
If you qualify and live in a county that has this program, you can live alone or with a roommate—with supervision by a caseworker, Independent Living Program County Coordinators and your foster care agency.

Housing Assistance after you Emancipate

Resources Are Available!

Emancipating from foster care can be both exciting and frightening. Counties may use up to 30% of their ILP funds for housing for emancipated foster youth.

There are programs to help emancipating youth to get started on their own.
  • Some counties have Transitional Housing Programs (THP+) for former foster youth 18 – 24 years old and older. To apply you must be 18 - 24 and out of foster care, be from a county that has this program, and be following the goals of your TILP. To find counties that have these programs, click on THP-PLUS and click on “About THP-Plus”.
    For more information, contact your County ILP Coordinator or for more resources contact the Office of the Foster Care Ombudsman at 1-877-846-1602.
  • Your county ILP program may have money to help 18-21 year old former foster youth with housing, college or vocational training costs, transportation, and other needs.
Emergency Shelters

Emergency shelters can provide a temporary place to help you get back on your feet. Call the county social services number, your ILP Coordinator, or the Office of the Foster Care Ombudsman to locate a shelter in your area.

To locate housing programs for emancipated youth,
a shelter or other resources, call the Office of the Foster Care Ombudsman
at 1-877-846-1602!

top ]